View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2018, 8:04 pm   #9
sadlerl
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: BBC Micro Security Ink Woes

Ahh - responses. It sent me a notification about the first one, but none of the others. I guess I did something wrong.

So I fed the information back to my mate and basically advised the same, in the way of 'leave it'. The sad part of this though is that he refurbishes these and sells them on, but the ones with these marks on just don't sell. Unless he sells them at about £100 less, they just don't budge, which is why he came to me about it.

The reason I came back to this post is to give an update. I wasn't able to find any kind of markings that would give away the composition of the case, but I guessed that it was some kind of polystyrene blend. With this, I made up a dilute acetone (50:50 water) mix, masked off the area and dabbed it on to the area. Immediately you could see that blue ink began to move into solution. I quickly, but carefully soaked up the ink into a paper towel and washed the area down. I did this twice and the results came out quite well, I think it's fair to say. It looks a little odd due to the fact that I now have a clean spot to deal with, but it's a work in progress.

It is sad to destroy a bit of history, but in that state, it really was a dead duck and would have probably had its innard used as spares and then the case sent off to the tip. Sad, but true.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	169025