View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2018, 11:05 pm   #54
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Interpreting a hexdump table

Thanks for the link.

I was looking through this thread again and realised that the BBC Micro:Bit, (Image #1) with its built in 5 * 5 LED grid display, would be an interesting platform to try to make a version of this game with. It has a built in tilt sensor so the player could move by tilting in the direction he / she wanted to go in.

Or, to be more ambitious, it could also be done using an Arduino Uno fitted with a 'Lots Of Leds' Shield (Image #2). On that board you could display not only the cell the player is in but the eight cells surrounding him as well, and you could keep the player in the centre and 'scroll' the maze around him.

Either way, just for fun, I was thinking of incorporating the original 1984 Elektor maze data to give it an authentically retro slant. The article describes the format of the maze data, where bits 0-3 represent the presence or absence of the four possible walls wall in each cell, and the upper bits represent other objects of interest (gates, keys, etc).

Unfortunately, I tend to have these ideas, but then always find excuses to do something else instead...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	microbit.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	167677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arduino_LOLshield.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	167678