Thread: GILES cartoon.
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2020, 11:47 pm   #39
Catkins
Pentode

Default Re: GILES cartoon.

Hi Peter,

Two things come to mind here.

First, I'm surprised at age 13 you were allowed to "play-around" with televisions by your parents. Hadn't they heard of the dangerous high voltages present in televisions? Especially EHT

Second, how did a Channel 1 television end up in Edinburgh? You don't say where you got it?

It might be a bit off topic (the reason should become clear), but, I'll mention my contrasting experience at that age . We (my twin and I) first got involved in collecting at the age of eleven in 1979. Luckily or unluckily if you're cynical, we bought a Bush SW23 (1938) radio at a jumble sale for the princely sum of 25 pence. By a fluke it was a mains set and it worked when we plugged it in and added an aerial.

That success got us hooked. At the time our main source of sets were jumble sales and junk shops (AKA antique shops). What we really wanted was an old television, that was our dream. It didn't happen. In fact most of the stuff that came up was uninteresting battery radio sets from the 40s and 50s. We couldn't power them up as we lacked the ability at that time. It was very disappointing.

Then finally (getting to the point as well), about the age 13, we got a 1950s television. We thought we'd hit the jackpot. By that time we'd become known for collecting "junk", and the father of a friend (an incomer family from elsewhere who had taken the old television with them), gave us their old television.

But sadly that was as good as it got. Our parents forbade us from working on it due to the "high voltages" they'd heard about, and then for good measure got rid of it. At the time I remember thinking its a good job you don't know there's high voltages present in old radios too

That was the only 1950s television we ever got up to age 18, at which point we went to university, and didn't do much with our interest for the next 20 years.

In hindsight I now know exactly why we never came across 1950s televisions, and in fact found it hard to get non-battery set radios at that age. We grew up in the Forest of Dean, an isolated and backward area of the country. Most of that area unbelievably to me didn't get mains electricity until the late 1950s/early 1960s. My mother recalls first getting electricity at the age of 12, and taking the accumulator of the radio (no television) to the garage to be recharged in the late 1950s. Due to the geography most of the area couldn't pick up television anyway until repeater stations were brought in later.