View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2017, 4:14 pm   #441
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
I see your post about this was in 2013, when Aitkens may still just have been going.

I'm sorry to say they are no more. I am as much to blame for that as anyone, as at one time there was scarcely a Saturday when I didn't cycle the 4-5 miles into town to get my precious little white paper bag full of components (with the price added up in biro on the bag).
Aitekns - wow that brings back memories from 45 years ago when they were going strong. They were the source of bits in my early and mid teens for what was to become my degree choice, and a fair chunk of my career. I'm not surprised that they are defunct, alas. Time has moved on, and far fewer people build stuff from basic parts; everything built now starts with a something like a raspberry pi and software to control some gizmo. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but ultimately that trend, and e-commerce, would have rung their death knell.

Can you remember the street that they were on? It was somewhere around the back of the central arcade if I remember correctly.

Craig