View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2020, 8:42 pm   #18
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Teleprinters - repair tips and servicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6ONEDave View Post
I still have a couple of Creed 444 units, one with it's sound proof cover. Many years ago I was in the local Raynet group and we used to do demonstrations at RAF Finningley air show weekends. Usually with the teleprinters printing out long pictures from perforated tape. The pictures, which caught the publics eyes were made up of text characters and looked very effective. Somewhere I still have the perf tapes for some of those pictures, which are stored in round tobacco tins.
Dave
I've got some pictures somewhere - one of HMQ and another of a very scantly clad young lady and a couple of Xmas ones. Our network had no charges so sometimes came from far side of the World. In my GPO days I looked after a 'location' which had more teleprinters than the whole of the rest of the Telephone Area - deep under the Army's HQ Western Command HQ, next level down from the then War Office in Whitehall. There were a number of point to point circuits plus a number of machines connected to the TASS system formerly used by the GPO before the coming of automatic Telex.

I did acquire several complete Telex sets - Creed 444s with control/PSUs and even a DTN table with one - courtesy of BT when I was recovering kit for use with the BBC's 'Hello Girls' TV series in the late 1990's. (Most episodes on You tube but make sure you include 'BBC' in your search details or you'll get some 'interesting' results!) We're looking to link them up over the likes of CNet. Just getting around to sorting out the control unit to interface such we can use the old Telex dialling codes.