View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2018, 11:52 am   #20
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Radiophile Auctions

Auctions are basically commercial events, and normal business practice is to do all that can be done to maximise the success. That means drawing in as many sellers, buyers (and helpers) as possible. A key feature of that is to locate the auction in areas of high population density with good transport links. Cowbit is a ludicrous location to hold an auction and to expect it to succeed, but of course they're not held there for sound commercial reasons. It's in one of the least populous areas imaginable, accessible only by poor rural roads. There are many more cabbages than chimney pots - the nearest towns are small - Peterborough, Lincoln, Boston, Saplding, Stamford, with larger towns being maybe 2 Hours away - Nottingham, Leicester. If you stick a pin in Cowbit on the map and draw say a 75 mile radius, half of it will be in the North Sea.

I'm not being derisory, critical or unkind when I say this - I'm just stating geographical facts.

I've attended two Cowbit events - only because we used to live at Spalding and are still close friends with former neighbours, so as with the Spalding Rally, I was able to combine a visit to neighbours with attending the events. Despite having an experienced professional auctioneer, prices attained were derisory - in some instances, less than a radio would fetch at a car boot sale. Unsurprisingly, many sets were bought for no more than a fiver by two or three individuals, as were the large lots of valves. To be frank, for this latter reason, I found the atmosphere a bit 'seedy' and 'spivvy' - not in keeping with the hobby, but maybe that sounds a bit 'haughty'.

On the odd occasions that I've sold radios, I've taken them to the local auction house and have been agreeably surprised at the outcome, but as with most auctions these days, as well as in the room, bidding is live on internet to a much wider audience. No problem with damage in transit, non-paying bidders, having to pack and send via couriers etc. Take it to the auction one day, get a cheque in the post by the end of the week.

At least Gnosall is rather better placed strategically, with Nottingham, Derby Leics, Birmingham Stoke, Stafford and the Potteries generally within reach, and with a reasonable road network, but Cowbit - huh? Hat's off to those who try to make a success of it with the odds stacked against them, but there's little point in anyone bemoaning the lack of assistance or lack of interest in the event.