View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 2:23 pm   #11
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Trio 9R-59 Shortwave Receiver

Thanks very much for that Andrew. You've shown the one I have. I wasn't even sure any one understood what I was on about in 2011 When I mentioned "small round dials" I actually meant square but with curved content. I think people might have bought one or the other type without being aware of the change in design and they do look completely different! The popular series of articles in SW Mag, re mods to improve performance, relates to the later version. As Tony said these "slide rule" sets look good but were pretty basic really [and not at all cheap]. There were lots of them about under different brands names in P Wireless.

The HE-30 was probaly top of that range with the two dials. I've a couple of "single scale" sets here in the Bexhill garage /office, a Veritone DX MATE CR150 and a Monarch Ham-1. I recall my friend Pat improved the BFO injection on the latter considerably by just soldering in an open ended small piece of wire at the oscillator grid stage that was effectively a capacitance he could move about to optimum effect!

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 22nd Dec 2018 at 2:37 pm.