View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2018, 8:41 pm   #19
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Daily Mail today, is this Britains oldest working oven?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
White goods wise, my Hotpoint Iced diamond fridge (bought in 1996) almost got condemned at xmas... Out of deference to the working range of the refrigerant i don't run it when the ambient is under 8C or over 35C (it's in the shed) however i cannot imagine how many times that little piston has gone up and down in 21 years. Quite impressed.
I'm not sure I'll have the heart to dispose of our Lec if it ever fails us. We've had it since 1981, when it cost £10 as it was already twenty or so years old. The only maintenance it's needed so far was the insertion of spacers in the hinges, when I realised that the reason it was icing up so quickly was that about a quarter of an inch of them had worn away putting the door seriously out of alignment. It doesn't seem to mind the ambient temperature falling to 5C or thereabouts, and that's about as cold as we'd want the kitchen to get in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Bush View Post
...If its not too intrusive I'd be interested in seeing photos of said cookers... Apart from radios I also gravitate to household appliances when I spot them in museums.
I'll see what I can do once the area is a bit less cluttered. I'm partial to museum displays too. Late last summer we spent a few days in Fakenham, unfortunately reduced to peering through the window of the town's Gas Museum at its selection of vintage cookers as lack of volunteers had led to its having to close early that day.

http://fakenhamgasmuseum.com/wp-cont...s-2-slider.jpg

Next time we'll be waiting for it to open...

Paul