View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2021, 1:43 pm   #32
mark2collection
Hexode

Default Re: Keep radio original, or improve it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
If you're going to improve something a lot, why not just make a whole new one from scratch? Put it in your own box. It's your handiwork, show it off. Show the world what you can do. Be an originator!

David
Ooooo you'd never catch me doing anything of the like David(!) <looks left at his own avatar ... This was an empty scrap cabinet, made useful again. Original post for those who've not seen it https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=142162

If a purchased set turns out to be 100% complete, original but non-functioning, I try my level best to ensure as many of the factory components as possible can be retained, with the end result, a fully functioning set. I have re-stuffed caps, and I like the idea that a set of 70+ years is still providing family enjoyment and using (where safe/possible) most of its factory fitted parts. If parts are missing, I try to obtain originals to make the set complete.

Some types of music lend themselves to HiFi, other types work surprisingly well through a vintage set - Gugak/Pansori - through an 'original' (non-modified/non-improved) set can 'add' a certain something to the enjoyment, even if it is the faint mains hum, the aroma of warm bakelite & a dusty dropper!

This is part of the reason I have a collection of audio equipment spanning a few decades, HiFi for some types of music, vintage sets for other types ... it creates a mood, and the family approve too.

The other part is the interesting engineering aspect of things.

Mark