View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2021, 1:09 pm   #24
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush VHF61 FM band dead.

The ECC88 valve worked just fine. The tuning drift on warm up that these sets have was exactly the same with this valve as with the ECC85 and I remember the valve being the possible cause of this was ruled out in a previous discussion sometime last year - after all, these valves don't drift in the Grundig sets.

I was going to try a couple of the other valve types mentioned that are apparently pin compatible (haven't checked myself yet) but fluorescent light failure in the loft when I went to look for them had be swapping tubes only to find that it was the actual fitting. This ended up with me removing the fitting itself and having to hold a replacement up in the apex of the roof with one hand while trying to locate the screws holding it in place with the other, so I'd had enough of the loft for the day after that little episode!

To the OP - if you haven't done so already (I can't remember whether you have without going back over the thread), then try replacing BOTH the ECC85 and the ECH81 with known good ones, perhaps from another working set. If there's still no FM then you'll have to start some serious fault finding.