View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2019, 7:53 am   #16
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: GZ34 - recommended brands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4aaw pete View Post
I think any will work. Unfortunately, we're into the 'ridiculous theory territory'.
For instance, the view that certain manufacturer's valves perform better when they're made at a certain factory. A good way to elevate the selling price.
Valves definitely do vary in build quality and reliability. But there's an irony and it's my opinion that for hi-fi and general purpose use, different brands will not sound so different. It's in guitar amps where, when driven into distortion, that the sound 'quality' tells. I first proved this to myself twenty years ago when I replaced the stock Chinese ECC83 valves in a Mesa Boogie preamp for good, tested Mullards. Driven hard into distortion - the normal mode for this type of unit - with the Chinese valves fitted the sound was thin, brittle, harsh and discordant. With Mullards fitted it was rich, creamy, harmonic and pleasant to hear within the idiom. Conversely, valves are not (should not) be driven into distortion in hi-fi amps, they'll be working within their limits and hence will sound very similar. That's my opinion.