View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2020, 11:25 pm   #14
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Too much weight- floor collapse?

That it's a wooden house may not be particularly important. Brick and stone houses still have timber joists and floors.

If you have any doubts, you need a professional inspection by a structural engineer. You are not going to feel comfortable otherwise.

I do know someone, one of the horsey gang back in the eighties, who had a lounge floor collapse into the apartment below. It was a newly built private block by a national house builder who used to support TV advertising agencies more firmly than it seems they built floors. She complained that the floor cracked and sagged during her housewarming party. The company pointed her to fine print: I think it was no more than six persons! Almost end of story. She went for the publicity option, got a refund on the flat plus costs. Bad press trumps advertising and legal weasel words.

But in 1900 things were built with a lot more margin. A school friend's house of that period had a slate billiard table in the attic, but only 3/4 size.

If you know the sizes of your joists and their number/spacing, there are stress tables.

David