View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2017, 11:38 pm   #17
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: Old arcade games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepilot View Post
Someone I knew discovered that if you took the cover off a piezo-electric cigarette lighter and used it to generate sparks whilst held next to the game machine, the stray currents could be made to change the credit counter. The bar where I used to play those games had a separate games room so the landlord couldn't see what was going on. He could never work out how people could play the games all evening but there was never any money in them afterwards.
I didn't know about that one but the other trick we did in the early days was to claim the coinslot was faulty and call over the old guy from the 'change' booth. He would use a key to open the small hinged front service panel to access the coin mechanism. He was happy to do this most days and I guess this was a welcome relief from sitting in a booth handing out change all day every day...

He was quite chatty and easy to distract and it was easy to reach inside and find/press the small credit button. Presumably this button was there for the maintenance people to test the machine. But in a few seconds it was possible to add loads of free credits via the button. We discovered this button because the old guy would press it to give a credit if we said our coin got lost in the machine.

Maybe this was morally wrong, but we were all still at school at the time

The 2p trick via the coin reject slot was eventually discovered by the owner and he screwed a self tapping screw in the slot to stop us doing it