View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2020, 4:10 pm   #49
GreasedMonkey
Pentode

Default Re: GEC Junior fineline picture problem.

Well another day of mixed fortunes with this set.

Many thanks to Dazzlevision, who supplied me with a replacement line oscillator coil, but from a thorn chassis. This could did not work as it was, but did provide me with a new former. I sat and transferred the windings from my smashed former into this one and managed to get a raster on screen, but the speed was way off. Today I went back to the set and scoped it up to see how far off it was, then took a wild guess at adding 6 turns to the top winding. A second poke with the scope showed this to be too far, so I removed 4 of these new turns and managed to get a stable picture. The core was not far off centre so plenty of adjustment either way. I was happy with this. Left it running for a while and after about an hour, the picture disappeared. Just a blank raster. I traced this down to L111 having gone open circuit. After repairing this I left it to run again for a while and then put the chassis back in and closed the set up.

Later on, while watching TV the blooming this gave up again. Now suffering frame collapse once again. I guess the scope will be back out again sometime soon.

I am seriously considering giving up with this set. I do remember taking many trips to the local repair shop with dad when I had one of these as a young un, so that one was never particularly reliable. Eventually the engineer in the shop did one last repair and said it was not worth bothering with if it packed up again. A few months later that one lost the picture and was replaced with a 12” single rotary tuner jobby, (I don’t remember the make or model) but that thing worked for years and I ended up taking that into student digs when I went to uni.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56367922-DB6B-427D-ACD6-1A047233FBCA.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	198973