View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2018, 2:39 pm   #9
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Changing the BVWS

Leave it as it is.

If you go down the auction listings and see the immense rnge of different things they cover, then you'd need a very long name indeed. So don't bother trying. A name is a tag, just a tag, it doesn't need to be a description nor does it need to be an entire listing.

BVWS as a name has settled in. People have got comfortable with it. You could argue that they cover wireless of the early period, and all the things that grew out of wireless.

I was rather upset when Wireless World changed its name. It seemed to be a huge mistake. WW meant them. people knew what it covered and the name served as a reminder that it had been involved from the beginning.

The only bit about the BVWS name I'd consider inappropriate is the first letter. They seem to do a lot, but it's all concentrated in the South East corner of England. The peoples of Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland could question its Britishness with some justification. For this reason, I remain not a member. If it is argued that the auctions and meetings are just a small aspect, then as a magazine and discussion group, geography becomes irrelevant and that 'B' is redundant for a different reason.

David (a Yorkshireman)