View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2018, 9:13 am   #11
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default Re: Philips N4520 Blowing fuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
I think these were part of the 'Black Tulip' range. Never saw one of these during my 30 years at Philips Croydon as they were serviced at Tunbridge. There was a whole range of matching equipment as part of the Black Tulip flagship series.
They were indeed bud . It was the top of the top of the range model so in essence the best philips had to offer . Once you get your head around the schematic , which is utterly confusing because philips have their own way of doing things (which i`m sure you are well aware of ..lol) , you can see why , Its incredibly well thought out and executed . My only gripe with it was the cabling they used . It was solid core steel wiring , which to me is just ludicrous , it just snaps if you fart near it ..lol. , but I guess they spent a LOT of time and money developing it and had to cut the cost somewhere but soldering it was an absolute nightmare. I`ve now rewired mine with stranded tinned copper . it cost a few quid but honestly , its a labour of love with this machine . I bought it for £169 posted and it had MANY issues , way to many to list . So i thought the best plan of attack would be to completely restore it . So I gutted it , clean everything , recapped all the boards . polished all the moving parts , put it back together and it worked so all it really needed was some care and attention . Unfortunately it was retired to an outside shed , so the damp has got to it and taken a lot of the etch off the main board so soldering to is it is treacherous at best but I`ve managed to replace all the caps , most of the transistors and I`m about to do the VR`s once they get here but there are now a lot of eyelets missing and a good few lifted tracks I`ve repaired along the way. Hopefully I should have a very nice (and incredibly ****** heavy ) deck at the end of it .

Last edited by NorfolkDaveUK; 21st Jul 2018 at 9:23 am.