View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2017, 4:46 pm   #36
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Home brew converter to listen to Satellites, plus capture of Voyager TX by NASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
In order to be a compleat electronics guy... you also have to understand transistor stuff because it has some great tricks up its sleeve and there is also some rather nice solid state gear around. Both sorts have some real stinkers, of course.
David
But David, some of just want to be amateurs, hobbyists. We made conscious decisions not to be professional electronics engineers. Achieving the sort of understanding that people like you have of state of the art "transistor stuff" is very hard to do. I recall when Skywave had his thread about RF voltmeters and someone modelled a FET circuit and said it showed 'negative resistance', I sighed deeply; I'd just got to grips with 'imaginary impedance'. Not everyone on the forum wants or can be a "complete electronics guy" - that's why you and others are so useful, to help us lesser mortals .

B