View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 4:33 pm   #25
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Home brew converter to listen to Satellites, plus capture of Voyager TX by NASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
Of course, many of the Soviet Nuvistor clones have wire-ended connections. I've never used one, but it is probably quite a good idea.
Thanks! I hope Symon can source a real one but tbh I think this method would work just as well and would be aesthetically identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
Was it just coincidence that this thread started with a mention of Voyager, and BBC4 showed a truly excellent documentary about Voyager last night?

Don't think I learned much that was new, but sat riveted to the TV. One bit that was new was the last minute panic, prior to launch, which lead to them wrapping lots of wiring in the spacecraft using "Bacofoil" from the corner store just down the road from JPL.
Ahaha, no, it wasn't a coincidence! They must have read the thread (correlation/ causation joke!) I did know about the doc and thought it would be nice to get something going. And I did enjoy remembering my investigation of tiny signals from space.

Not everyone 'gets' this as this space listening isn't communicating intelligence/ what we define as 'meaning', but just as I enjoy the challenges of controlling unwieldy amounts of power electronically, so do I enjoy the other end of the spectrum, seeing uV or uA signals in a receiver front end!