View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2021, 5:22 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: £10,000 wooden-cased valve amplifiers

We might just be regretting, GJ, that back in 1970 when valves were at scrap prices, we didn't spend a month or two's wages on them and stash them for 50 years...

It would have to be the right ones, but that would involve predicting fashions and fashions are notoriously fickle.

I've seen Russ' videos. He's a great craftsman of the modern type, using spindle moulders and special tooling. He's into production not hand-carving but his products are gorgeous. His filming is good enough to let the quality of his work show. The ladies loo spray booth is a good joke too.

The special attributes of the finished amplifiers and turntables lie chiefly in the minds of the purchasers. Other people do not seem to be able to discern them. So how do those beliefs get into the heads of the purchasers and the heads of those who cannot afford them but just have to remain onlookers?

I think it's via the spoken and written word as internet articles, reviews, magazines etc. Unless you subscribe to the right ones you won't form the required expectations to become a customer, real or aspirational. If you read different ones, you'll likely get steered to different brands.

Whether or not it makes any difference as perceived by your ears, there is something satisfying about an item that is clearly well made.

To gain a sense of perspective, consider how little overlap there seems to be between high-end musicians and ownership of high-end hifi.

Of course, it could just be that they don't pay musicians enough

I wouldn't give one of those amplifiers house room, but I'd happily hang an example of Russ' work on the wall.

David