View Single Post
Old 26th May 2019, 6:30 am   #6
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: BBC website page on their TV idents

And there was me thinking they'd just performed another step-down in the intelligence of their R2 programmes with the departure of Simon Mayo.

I find the repetition of advertising campaigns to be a form of aversion therapy. The more repetitions there are, the more desperate the company behind them seems to be, and the more overpriced their products must be to pay for the adverts. The BBC is a haven away from this stuff.

The BBC comes over as very competent in its lower layers, yet very incompetent in its upper ones. Is it a smooth transition? or is there an abrupt step?

There was a very senior German officer who, after WW1, described the British army as "Lions led by donkeys". Is this a general British trait? because the same pattern can be seen across many well-known British companies.

The Batwiings logo looked interesting, but did have a disquieting feel. It seemed classy, though.

I think their idents have generally been excellent and enjoyed looking back through them. At the time they were used, I found the transition to the waterfall of figure twos into the paint to be an excellent joke. It made the BBC look like it could laugh at itself.

I didn't know it was the work of the same people who did channel 4's ident. That also has a sense of humour. Great work.

David