View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2019, 11:01 am   #44
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Using Canned Air For Removing Dust

I agree with ajgriff.

A small compressor like that will do for very light duty but you'll soon find its limitations , um, limiting.

3HP is about the most you can run from a 13A plug. Direct drive compressors run too fast for efficient filling of the cylinders so air throughput is low for the horsepower of the motor. Better compressors run a larger displacement pump at lower revs with a belt drive from the higher revving motor. This improves lifetime as well.

Air tools can use air at a prodigious rate. I have a 3HP belt-drive machine on a 50 litre tank. It can keep up with a high quality spray gun without trouble, but air grinder, drill, bead blast gun all flatten the tank faster than the pump can keep up. So the size of the tank sets how long you can grind for at a burst. The power of the pump sets what overall duty factor (the ratio of working to resting) you can do.

That small compressor will be fine for occasional use blowing dust off radio chassis. The set of tools isn't too bad at all. The tyre inflator works, but is surprisingly limited in flow. The oil gun and blow guns are OK. The spray gun works, but isn't a professional finish job, and as said, you need a good regulator and oil/water separator to fed a spray gun clean air. Anything in the air spoils the finish. The curly pipe is a complete laugh, you won't be long before you replace that with rubber hose. You'll also really really want some PCL quick-change couplings.

Top air tool for me... An R-Tech plasma cutter!

I've found R-Tech to be very good to deal over many with and they stock some decent compressors and bits and pieces. They actually manufacture welders and cutters here in Britain, so I'd rather support them than mere importers.

Air drills and grinders need oily air, so you can use oil injectors in their air feed to keep them happy, but never use that hose for your spray gun!

David