View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2023, 4:10 pm   #44
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Tandy, Radio-Shack catalogues and history

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Hello everyone,

Although I've sent one of my 'glued' catalogues to Paul, I have spent the last three days scanning my 1992/93 Parts & Accessories one.
This is an A4 sized catalogue and although it has 36 pages in total, I've only just managed to produce a PDF of it.
The problem is the size of the file - it's 162Mb !
I'm amazed that Superscope managed to get his scan down to the size he did.
I don't have any fancy PDF creation software.... I used PDF-XChange Lite which is a 'Printer' type of creator.
I followed the advice above ; i.e. 300DPI scan resolution - I also reduced the number of colours to 256 as this made no visible difference but helped with file size for each page.
Not sure what else I can do as each page was still around 5,000 kb before I put them into a LibreOffice Draw file so they were in the correct order before 'printing'.

Any suggestions ?

Andy
Received, PDF created and uploaded - 13MB.

The odd solution was to convert the scans from PNG to TIFF then import into the PDF software. As TIFF it recompressed them sensibly whereas as PNG it imported without compression, hence the huge file.

There is probably a setting I've missed somewhere, but that method worked. I have a batch image converter/resizer program (FastStone Photo Resizer) which quickly handled the TIFF conversion.

This may be worth noting with other PDF creation software though. It's easier to try one page first and see how the file sizes compare.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster