View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2023, 6:08 pm   #6
pmmunro
Octode

Default Re: 1957: TV Comes to the SCOTTISH HIGHLANDS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
One poor soul saying they cannot get a tv as no electric, terrible as late as 1957.
And not until the mid 1960s for some parts of rural Perthshire, even in one case although a small hydro-electric generating station was visible on the other side of the Loch.

The neighbouring Durris transmitter's aerials were struck by lightning during a lighting and snow storm and largely destroyed in December 1988? Lightning over snow is a wierd phenomenon! Much of the region, including the village south of Stonehaven where we then lived, was without power, and hence the normal means of heating, for 4 to 5 days. Most roads were impassible.

When eventually I was able to get back to work at Grampian Television in Aberdeen, one of the managers asked how our television reception was with Durris's temporary replacement aerials. My greatest concern had NOT been television reception.

It's very noticeable that the children, and possibly even more the adults, in the Rosemarkie area were not used to speaking to television journalists in 1957. Television must have brought an awareness of a much wider world to these people. I expect that the interview subjects were carefully chosen not to have too distinctive a Black Isle accent - beautiful but not easy for outsiders to understand.

PMM