View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2023, 4:40 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Pye 808 finished at last.

The dial was broken when I acquired this radio it needed a full restoration a forum member supplied me with a better dial ie not broken as much and a reaction control ,after replacing most of the usual capacitors and a few resistors the set worked , what to do about the dial ,I was given a companies name that may help me with the dial , I sent off the broken dial they managed to scan it and gave me an estimate of £65 for two not to bad I thought , skip a week an email informed me that due to unforeseen problems it would now cost me £104 inc vat which they didn't mention before , after much deliberation and taking into consideration that a forum member Graham (radiogram ) would buy a dial off me I gave them the go ahead ,I paid the bulk of the cost which was £65 it was either that or the radio was scrap.
I must say I was very pleased with the finished dial when it arrived they had cut the holes ,after I told then not to, but all ok apart from the little boss which holds the tuning indicator disk was a tad to big I overcome this by bushing the boss out with a piece of card and super glued it in place , originally the brass bushes were riveted /crimped to the perspex they had to ground off , same went for the L/S A/E sockets I didn't bother re fitting these I found some rivets that fitted the holes perfectly so they look the part , what a job , I now have the radio running under it's own steam , with a 90 volt pack 10 x pp3's squeezed into a nice plastic case ,and a two volt accumulator which I brought to life and is still going strong .
Was it worth it yes it was , I just need to make a back for it if the chap that I acquired from cannot find it .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0002 (8).jpg
Views:	325
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	274914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0028 (7).jpg
Views:	318
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	274915   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0029 (5).jpg
Views:	282
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	274916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0031 (8).jpg
Views:	325
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	274917  

Last edited by vinrads; 13th Mar 2023 at 4:48 pm.