View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 3:50 pm   #50
Nymrod121
Nonode

Default Re: Old & still used 486

I still have a Compaq LT486 laptop that I was given way-y-y back in the mid-90's.

It has 8MB Random Access memory and 120MB hard disk drive. The resident OS is MS-DOS 6.22 followed by Windows 3.11 (I still have the installation diskettes somewhere ...).

There is also a 3rd party memory manager - MagnaRAM. Office products are Word 6, Excel ('Access' is also listed ... but I doubt it's anything like as heavyweight as the modern version).

The lift-up screen hinges are extremely stiff and I know from the experience of having dismantled a previous machine that it's due to the spiral friction springs 'biting' too hard into the spindle of the hinge. The strain is so bad that the plastic moulding of the screen surround is quite badly cracked ... one of these days I must dismantle it all and free the hinges off.

Not a bad little workhorse in its day; I used it for contributing to a preserved commercial vehicle forum (newsletter editor / subscriptions database admin etc.).

(thinks ... while it's out of the top of my cupboard, I might even try running the demo version of 'Terminal Velocity' on it, just for old times' sake ... )

Best wishes

Guy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compaq 486 laptop.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	120991