View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2018, 9:25 pm   #3
Poseidon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: New member...(needing help)

Hello - sorry, I've misled you - it's only the Panasonic that's playing up badly. The other rigs are 'sub optimal', I think because of antenna and atu and earthing issues, but they do work to a degree. The Panasonic is my preferred 'daily driver' as it covers local FM/VHF as well as HF. Yes, I've been out for about 25 years (since early internet emerged). Main interest is utility/ssb traffic and data comms like RTTY/TOR/FEC etc and occasional amateur and exotic broadcast listening. One of the issues that drove me away from VFOs to screen and keyboard was the emergence of RFI from computers and the problems trying to screen out massive QRM at receivers anywhere near early home computers.... Yes, I do tend to use a long wire (c.40m) for all the RXs, fed through a simple home made ATU with tapped coil and air spaced capacitor and all earthed well. As I said, all the antenna and front end connectivity does need overhauled, but I've been a bit dismayed at how quiet the bands are generally and I have dipped into web based SDR (Eschende) so I appreciate that it's not all down to my defective equipment...