View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2018, 4:17 pm   #15
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Tesla MH74S571 programming.

I have the files for the two PROMs in raw binary file form, if that would help to start you off. Each file has data in the lower 4 bits of each of the 512 8-bit wide bytes of the file with the upper 4 bits in each byte = 0.

These are PROM images for the improved / later OS which presents the '0000 00' prompt on reset rather than the original OS with the '---- --' prompt.

For slothie's PROMs we went down a complex, I have to say probably unrepeatable route which called in favours and actually there were problems with several devices refusing to programme so we are still seeking a dedicated programmer for these even if it happens to be built around an arduino or similar microprocessor PCB. The stumbling block is, as you suggested, lack of decent information about the algorithm for programming the Tesla devices.

If you just want them programmed you might want to try contacting the Czech gentleman (Martin Lukasec) who is selling, among other things, programmed Tesla PROMs so he clearly does have the means to program them. You might be able to negotiate a price from him to program yours.

I have a programmer which can program several alternatives which are still available, but all tend to be more expensive than the Tesla devices. These are:

DM74S571 (National Semiconductor) - these were the original ones used in the MK14.
Philips / Signetics 82S131 and 82S131A
AMD 27S13

I'm happy to program any of these devices for anyone who needs them done.

Unfortunately my programmers are currently unable to program the Tesla devices, but one of them allows for the creation of 'custom' devices not natively supported by the programmer so it could potentiallly program the Tesla devices.... given reliable information about them.