View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2018, 10:36 am   #51
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: BVWS Summer 2018 Bulletin

In actual fact, because the auctions aren't simultaneously live on internet, the prices attained will almost certainly be lower than would otherwise be the case because it's limited to those in the room who wish to bid, which won't be everyone.

I've only been to three auctions, on of which was a BVWS event, and didn't bid at any of them.

The one thing I would say - which without a doubt is where the commercial bidders hold sway - is in the valve lots. Most lots consist of far more valves than the average restorer could cope with or would wish to bid for, and at the events I attended, it was clear that the bidding was between the same two bidders whose intentions can only have been commercial. But what's the alternative? Break one lot of fifty valves into five lots of ten, so that hobbyist restorers have a better chance of bidding? Not helpful to the seller, and even more work for the hard-pressed auctioneer.

If I have any radios to sell - which isn't often - I've long since abandoned ebay.

I enter then into a local auctioneers under 'collectibles'. They're listed live on internet as well as in the room. No hassle of getting the description right, no need to post and pack, no bother about damage in transit from the auction to the buyer - just a cheque through the post, and in the five instances that I've listed items, a handsome cheque at that.

I'm always amused by the term 'winning' an auction.

The reality is that the person who 'wins' has paid the highest price that anyone was prepared to pay for that item on that day at that venue.