Old 27th Jun 2018, 7:05 pm   #46
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: BVWS Summer 2018 Bulletin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Ref the saga of the profiteering trader, yes I can see what Greg is alluding to, and in my mind the question of the spirit of the thing comes into play. Buying something at a BVWS auction and selling on eBay a few months later, repeatedly, is not on.
Isn't it?

If someone wants to sell it and someone wants to buy it, surely the 'trader' can only sell it onto another enthusiast.

I personally don't see the problem with this as it can bring certain items into the reach of those who are unaware of the BVWS meet or can't attend to one.
Yes - but the aims of the BVWS are to benefit its members, not the wider world.

Selling on eBay will reach a bigger market, and generally result in a better price, for somewhat more effort. A member faced with disposing of an item can easily advertise himself on eBay, so why does he bother with the BVWS auction? Probably because he'd like it to go to another member, at a more affordable price!

I'm a massive fan of eBay, I've picked up several highly desirable items, and I've disposed of several, too (as I live miles away from even the nearest BVWS venue). They have gone to (probably) enthusiasts, but I'll never know. But it's purely commercial, whereas BVWS auctions are run in a friendlier spirit, less money-making, and more trying to help each other as members.