View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2019, 4:39 pm   #12
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Crumbly RS capacitors.

I have examples of the same capacitor marked ERO, a brand of Ernst Roederstein in Germany, who made capacitors from the 1920s until they were taken over by Vishay in the '90s. But it may not be as simple as Roederstein making them for RS. Like your RS-branded caps, the ROE items in my pic below state 'Made in England' but I am not aware of Roederstein having a manufacturing plant in the UK. Nor is the ROE marking in their normal trademark style, inclined within a square. Most Roederstein product lines are instantly recognisable, either resin dipped or wrap-and-fill, whereas these 'Made in England' items break the mould, as it were.

Either whoever made them for RS also made them for Roederstein, or the 'Made in England' is not strictly accurate. Funny how the font of 'Made in England' is different to the other printing on the caps, and rather familiar when compared with a Hunts Moldseal. I've seen Moldseals badged for RTC in both red and green moulding compound although all other details were identical to the normal Hunts edition (albeit with a null date code of BBB).

The shape of the moulding ends of these grey ones is different but could they actually be Moldseals in disguise?

Quote:
Later caps of the Hunts design were labelled Erie.
Erie took over A.H. Hunt in 1969 IIRC, so this isn't a re-badge as such.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Splitting ERO caps.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	188282