View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2021, 1:56 pm   #17
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Wax Capacitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian27 View Post
I said that one goes to valve base well it does not it goes to aerial earth point on earth connections and and chassis. The other goes from on off switch terminal to mains dropper and other from chassis to output transformer yellow speaker cable. I have pics. All are same value 0.01uf 400vac 1000vdc
Could you post a snippet of the circuit diagram showing where these capacitors are in the circuit? It's much easier to provide an informed reply rather than guessing. These old capacitors will not be providing adequate isolation (if that is what they are for) so should be replaced.

From your description I would think that one is a tone corrector (the one that goes to the yellow wire) so that can be a normal polyester type 0.01uF 1000V, the one to aerial and earth point is for isolation so that should be a 'Y' type and the one to the dropper is probably a mains filter so should be and 'X' type if across the mains or a 'Y' type if going to chassis.

Positive identification from the circuit will conform this (or prove otherwise)!

Last edited by Sideband; 24th Jun 2021 at 2:03 pm.