View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2018, 2:36 am   #30
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Miller Organs from Norwich

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any continuity from the old company to the present one.

Do we have any kind of inventory of surviving examples. AFAIK Tom Kroll in Germany has three - An 'English Organ 2m, c. 1966, a 'Norwich' 2m valve divider and a 'Martinette' 1m. I too have a Norwich 2m valve divider and the Classic IV 2m individual oscillator. It will be interesting to find out more about the St. George, Norwich instrument if it still exists.

Your pic of the Norwich T 2m drawstop console suggests it is outwardly like its valve predecessor - just not quite as packed in the back. When I have a chance to unpack it I will take some pics - for some reason I don't seem to have any.

Quote:
It had the oddity that it shared oscillators between adjacent notes, so that if the two were played together only one sounded, but I don't now remember whether it was the higher or lower one that sounded.
This presumably applied only to the pedals, as adjacent pedals would not normally be played, whereas it would be unacceptable on the manuals. In which case at least the pedal oscillators seem to have been independent from the manuals, even if the latter used dividers, as pitch-switching could not be applied to the dividers without also affecting the manual stops. A similar trick was also done with pipes, where each pipe could produce one of two notes by the opening of a pallet inside.