View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2019, 9:42 pm   #11
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Restoration of Apollo era consoles

A bit of a google earlier showed alot of these monitors being sold off, at fixed prices of between $700-800 depending on provenance.

The monitors were originally valve state but upgraded to solid state during the Shuttle programme. The restoration of the consoles (which are meant to be switched on for long periods for visitors) has included getting rid of the crt monitors and fitting LCD panels to custom re-manufactured bezels.

I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't classified drawings if they were involved in aerospace, I believe astronautics developed crt displays in early fighter jets. (might have read that in wikipedia, I forget).

The data shown on these old displays was a hybrid video picture generated by a video camera in a back room. Numerical data from a mainframe text display was combined optically with transparencies to generate lines, borders, headers and labels for the parameters, since that was beyond the capability of the computers during Apollo. Console button-selections would not only call up a different computer screen but also shifted the correct overlay into position from a motorised magazine. No expense spared!

Last edited by McMurdo; 19th Apr 2019 at 9:47 pm.