View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2019, 4:59 pm   #28
JohanBee
Triode

Default Re: 6BE6/EK90 vs 6CS6/EH90 as frequency mixer in Trio 9R59DE ?

Back to the Trio 9R59DE. I’ve been working on the oscillator to the mixer on the 2 upper bands C&D, as specially the D-band 10,5-30MHz was very veak, gave parasitics and stopped completely to oscillate at 15Mhz & up.
I took out the L112 coil, found and cleaned away a remaining wax chunk on the back of the coil, took off the main windings, as the 0,4mm wire was very brittle (was it copper?) and the green isolation came off.
Found the temperature compensating C104 inside the bottom of the coil and left it there.
Cleaned the coil former more from the rest of the Q-eating wax and rewound the 4 3/4 turns main winding with 0,5mm wire. Seen to the left on the first picture.

Took also out the L111 coil for inspection and to be able to clean more wax hidden on the back side. The wire was OK so I left it. It is on the right on the firt picture.

At the same time, with the coils out of the way, I demounted the L-shaped bracket, that holds the 2 tubular, flimsy polyethene trim-capacitors CT8 & CT9.
Seen on the second picture with the new ceramic trimmers in the background.
Lowest quality I’ve ever seen and I can’t believe the designer wanted these there. I think only the beancounters are responsible to this junk. They’re probably part of the instability problems at higher frequencies.
So I soldered a copper washer to make the new trim-caps to fit and screwed in a couple of 2-15pF ceramic tubular types, that I think the designer more opted for.
In the middle of the first picture.
Also seen on that picture is the low capacitance koax line to the antenna trimmer. Grounded only at the antenna coil side. Stops the oscillator to pull when trimming the antenna cap.
Also in the bottom of that pic is the lose wires (the red B+ from the OA2 and the shielded from RF-gain) close to the oscillator tubes secured and glued to the chassie.
The green systoflex covered wires around the band switch, in the middle of pic1 are the new 1mm solid core wires to the variable capacitors

After assembling back everything it is now oscillating good at all bands and even the D-band is rock stable and smooth after warm upp and only fluctuates a couple hundred Hz upp & down, due to mains variations (yes have the OA2 installed)
Had it spot on at 17780 +-200Hz (BBC at Ascension?) for an hour without drift in that test. Picture No3.

Yes I’ve mounted an (from eBay) outboard crystal controlled frequency counter with an IF 455KHz offset for monitoring and alignments. A half wave rectifier from the 6,3V heater voltage gives 8VDC, which is sufficient to power it.
Use the other half of the oscillator tube as a cathode follower for the signal to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68E3A53E-39D1-46CA-B497-545C198AF435.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	193580   Click image for larger version

Name:	D6428B4C-D4D8-4565-97CD-1B5537BE1BF3.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	193581   Click image for larger version

Name:	4442EB9D-01B3-422E-B3D2-2B1A56CA73F3.jpg
Views:	137