Thread: Fender amp copy
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2019, 2:45 pm   #7
retailer
Heptode

Default Re: Fender amp copy

I thank all for the kind comments that have been made.

The only extra I added was a bright switch to each channel, the thought was there to also add a "mid" to the tone stack, I believe the reissue Fender amps have this, but by the time I was thinking a bit more seriously about it I had already drilled the holes for the controls, the AB763 circuit seems to be regarded as the pinacle in Fender amps I'm quite sure my son will learn to live without, he has managed with only a top cut tone control on the Vox with no complaints - I was surprised to learn he had loaned his AC30CC to a friend and the AC15 copy had become his gig amp.

I used metal film rather than carbon film resistors I know they do not look period correct and as you say may affect the vintage style tone but put simply I have a good stock of them and want to use them up. The same comments go for the speaker, it would be nice to go all out with a full blown real copy and get an Oxford or Jensen but I really want to use up some of the gear I have collected over the years, if my son wants an 'American' sounding speaker he'll have to fork out for it himself.

I didn't have a small 'donor' to rewind for the reverb driver transformer - that coupled with the fact I made the chassis 2 cm smaller so it would fit in my folder meant I really did not have the room the turn the transformer at 45deg - my son came over and we gave it a short test and so far no issues with hum on either channel fingers crossed it is like that once it is finished and he cranks the volume.

I picked up the pine planks for the cab today, hopefully I don't have the same router issues when it comes time to make the finger joints, the AC15 cab gave me a lot of grief. I have some fire engine red vinyl, white piping and black grill cloth - I plan to use them on the cab.