View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2009, 12:52 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Grey payphones.

You're talking about the old 'Button A-B' telephones. The seperate black telephone you remember was basically a 162 (or 232, I forget now).

The changeover took many years; the last 'Button A-B' type survived until relatively recently (Late 1980's?) in, I believe, the Shetland Isles.

Although you haven't asked this, I thought it might be of interest to younger members if I were to explain how one used a Button A-B telephone.

Having used all your strength to open the kiosk door, you then groomed yourself in front of a little mirror so you looked nice for your call. If you didn't know the number of the call recipient you then pulled out the in-kiosk directory, an item you don't see anymore.

Next step was to insert your coins into a slot. Then you dialled the number and when the telephone was picked up at the other end you pressed Button A. Your money would then drop through to a cash box and your call was connected. If, however, your call wasn't answered you would then press Button B and your money would, hopefully, be returned to you.

Often those days it was necessary to go via the Operator. If so, you would insert your money in the same way, then if the Operator was successful in obtaining a response from the intended call recipient, she (as it usually was) would then tell you to press Button A. The Operator, apparently, relied upon hearing your money drop through to the cash box - upon which she would connect your call and away you went.