View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2021, 4:05 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Philco 100 was AC/DC now AC only

The story is I repaired one of these for a chap he brings me the things he is stuck with , to cut a long story short when he came to collect it I commented that it wasn't my sort of thig normally but there was something about this one I liked , he then said that he had another one the same so a deal was struck .He said it was in good condition ,his idea of good condition and mine were a million miles apart .
It arrived a few days later , It was in a right state someone had tried to replace the speaker cloth not very successfully ,it had bee varnished looks like it was applied with a trowel ,the side were painted with a thick layer of black stuff ,so the cabinet had to come apart ,I was left with four pieces top bottom and two sides , having removed what looked like mastic from all the joints I sanded all the wood and veneer , and started by fitting new (well very old) speaker cloth tygan type , a pain in the bum to fit ,but it now looks ok , glued some leather cloth to the sides , stained the top and to bottom finished with clear coat.
The electronics I fancied converting it to A/C only I never did like the A/C D/C radios , so re wired the heaters , for 6.3 volt found a mains tx to supply the correct voltage well near!, did away with the valve rect fitted full wave diodes , and a dropper resistor plus extra 33uf smoothing ,we now have correct HT found the original fault the choke / output tx oc had one in the bit's box and the set of E valves , got it working , one knob missing , kindly supplied by Rich ak Slidertogrid at no cost to me thanks so much , after a quick alignment it performs very well on all wavebands ,Mick. Rich your is the one on the far right thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0025 (3).jpg
Views:	219
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	237660   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0024 (3).jpg
Views:	199
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	237661   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0023 (2).jpg
Views:	202