View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2018, 7:08 pm   #26
Farzooks
Tetrode

Default Re: Heathkit RF1U Signal Generator Restoration

I've just acquired one of these (grey/silvery case) and the same twin-flex mains lead with the knot is present. Whoever assembled this one didn't leave enough slack behind the knot and the mains cable has been pulled enough to fracture the mains input tagboard.
That's the first job, and I'll ditch the selenium rectifier at the same time.
Overall, it's quite nice and tidy, but some of the soldering isn't great, so I'll re-do a lot of the joints. That's before even powering it up to see if it even works.
The only other faults I've found are the main dial knob and one of the range knobs being loose on their shafts, so nothing major.
Getting back to the mains lead - what were Heathkit even thinking, though? Even in 1967 (date on the main cap) it was normal to fit three-core mains lead on most things, especially items with a metal chassis. If this had been a double-insulated device, I'd have understood, but it's certainly not that.
Actually, the first double-insulated item I recall having was a Hornby trainset controller, and I made sure to find out at the time what that meant. Even that Hornby controller, double-insulated though it was in 1964, had a three-core mains lead.