View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2018, 4:53 pm   #50
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Changing the BVWS

The largest pictorial on the home page is a video dated 2014!! If it's a criticism then it's a fact as well.

Yesterday, to be fair in this, I asked my wife who is quite up to speed to look at the home page, she more or less came to the same conclusion as me, it could do with changing "It's rather bland" were some of the words she used.

I do not have the skills to do web design/mastering but if I did I would change it.

I have nothing to do with the BVWS as in I'm not a member, so my views are from the outside looking on, a bit like a punter looking in a shop window, that to me, looks like it's closed for business with that 2014 video as its prominent feature, moreover the music to that video is not very representative given the chronological spread that vintage radio encompasses (2LO/early BBC to Radio 1 1920's to 1960's/70's for instance) If that's a criticism I can't help that, I just see it as an observation, that's what people do, observe and decide.

To me if the BVWS want's to recruit younger blood then the BVWS will have to cater for a wider remit of stuff, and make it more or less instantly known on the home page if only as a hook to get them interested in the more traditional vintage stuff if that's what's wanted.

Further to that and in my defence I did imply as a constructive idea in post#16 to run a youtube channel with a view to showing the younger ones how too etc because I guess for many they would not know how and that might be a barrier for any further perusal of interest but if there is no appetite or resources for that from within then I think the KT boundary's in sight for the BVWS as it stands, is that a criticism or just an observation of what's down the road?

So.….Constructive....

Re-vamp the home page to make things a bit more appealing to a wider audience.....Get 'em through the door is the name of the game.

Replace the rotating photo shots with a full screen width changing photo stream showing what's covered eg receivers, radiograms, record player, military and owt else etc, make them clickable and do something, ie: directs to another page that expands on the subject of the photo selected.

Do some YouTube videos for how too, a couple of free ones from the home page or whatever as enticers, the rest only for paid up members, get someone who knows what they are doing, possibly radio qualified to star in them, not some errr ahhh mmm what I meant was.

Get some conversation going on BVWS's Twitter and Facebook pages, even something slightly contentious is better than nowt, it shows that someone is still alive!

I heard that The BVWS sell capacitors...Not according the home page so far as I can see....!!Look we sell bits!! (that's a constructive comment by the way)

Make it known the BVWS is inclusive..."Our Society relies on new membership...………. If you have an interest in collecting and restoring old equipment, or just looking at or listening to old radios, televisions or Hi-Fi, then why not consider becoming a BVWS member."

Maybe "We welcome all, young and old, in-betweens, all genders etc" no "Why not consider" more like "Then Join now" that sort of thing.

So there's a few ideas for starters.

Finally I get the impression (sorry folks but I do) that there are some folks on here that are firmly stuck in we won the war, steam, auntie Beeb, auntie Rover and old Philips atlases, I feel sure I'm not the only one to get that impression, I suspect some would be recruits to the forum do as well.....time to move on for the BVWS in a constructive way me thinks.

Good luck whicheverways.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 19th Sep 2018 at 5:04 pm. Reason: grammar