View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2021, 12:34 am   #9
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Dynatron Ether Conqueror restoration

As another quick addition - values of capacitors were often marked differently back when this gram was made and you'll notice that the square one is marked at 2 MFD, this is 2uf, so you need to be aware of this, as the electrolytic that you're looking for could be marked in 'MFD' rather than 'uf'. The value of only 2uf should indicate to you that this is not the capacitor you're looking for as you already know you're looking for one marked at 50uf.

Once you can get your head round all this, you stand a chance of getting this gram up and running, although I think if there's anything much wrong with the radio tuner part then you're going to struggle, as it's a complex unit and there's no 'full' circuit information available for it, just a basic one, so you'll need to keep your fingers crossed about that one. I already notice some differences in that there's extra screening incorporated in the shape of screened wire for the aerial interconnections - having this wiring unscreened means that the radio often works quite well without an external aerial connected to those bottom terminals, but with them screened as they are now it'll struggle without one. There also seems to be added foil screening behind the tuner chassis - I've never seen that before on a UK model, so perhaps this was a special specification for the particular country it was exported to.