View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2021, 11:59 pm   #7
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Dynatron Ether Conqueror restoration

No, if you mean the electrolytic and if you're referring to the grey square unit.

I have said that you need to follow the circuit diagram, but I suspect that you're not doing this, otherwise you'd have identified the correct component - the one I think you're showing has a value marked on it which you'll see is not the value that I mentioned and also not as quoted on the circuit diagram. I am seriously worried about whether you have the ability to work on this unit, particularly if you can't follow what is actually quite a simple circuit diagram, laid out in a very clear way - certainly a lot clearer than some. You must not touch any of those grey square units which are original block paper capacitors and don't normally cause any trouble in these amplifiers. I can't remember where the particular capacitor is and I don't think I have a picture showing it, so if you can't identify it, then I would advise you to leave it for the time being.

I'm having to be quite honest and direct with you over this, as mistakes will be costly...to you!

I've found a picture from a few years ago to show you an amplifier that I worked on and showing the conservation restoration type repair with the original capacitors still in their clamps, but with the new capacitors soldered in their place - this shows 400 volt types that were available at the time and are more than adequate. However, 630 volt rated types that I advised and you pictured are the normal types for use in these positions and which are available today.

Anything else you're not sure about, ask before you dive in. Other members will be able to advise you as well - hopefully we'll all be in agreement, but you never know when it comes to these things.

Picture below of a Dynatron amplifier under chassis the same as yours with the three replacement capacitors fitted for your reference of how it should be done and what it should look like...and have another look for C10 - you know its value and it will be a round one, it could be the other one shown in the picture, but I can't remember.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050234.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	224550