View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2017, 2:56 pm   #13
sp10mk11
Octode

Default Re: Is blu tak the magic cheapo option for non audiophiles?

In my experience headshells come in all sorts of shapes and designs, but speaking of damping headshells two companies come to mind, SME recommended using a small blob of there own damping compound (dum dum) between the cartridge and the beautiful but very resonant S2 headshell, Technics on the EPA-100 arm used rubber inserts to damp down the headshell rssonance.
The bottom end of headshells tend to be flimsy aluminium jobs that offer little damping of cartridge resonance, so by all mean use blue tack it will work, I used to use 1mm thick rubber sheet cut to shape and glued in the headshell this has the same damping properties.
Then of course you move right up the scale to beautifully cast (various metals and compounds are used) headshells that are very non resonant in themselves and well suited to moving coil cartridges etc.
So things can be tweaked I believe, a bodge? no not at all just recognising the short falls of a budget design and trying to improve it, I say well done, sit back and enjoy
Gary