View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2011, 1:58 pm   #5
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Sony KV-1810UB - the GCS rides again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed731pdh View Post
The only issue with this model I found was purity bleed and the occasional manual de-gauss to clean up the screen. Nobody could work out why, it would just do it at a whim.
We were plagued with sudden purity errors at a few addresses in the posher end of town, where people tended to have cleaners or maids. Not being part of the family (and probably not owning a colour set themselves at the time) they'd probably never heard of the warning about using the vacuum cleaner near the TV. Especially turning the vacuum on&off near it. 'I'll take the degausser with me, Mrs Bouquet has been hoovering again'.

Just slightly off topic again (sorry), on one of my very first colour installs while I was still an apprentice, we were going through the install procedure when we noticed a very bad purity error and no matter how much we degaussed the set it wouldn't shift.
To cut a very long story short, after moving the set to another corner and getting a beautifully pure picture, we began to invesigate...
There was nothing in the offending corner so we looked in the kitchen, which was on the other side of the wall. In a cupboard right in the corner was a small lathe! When we heaved it out of the way, the TV was pure again.
The bloke was quite embarrassed and gave us a tenner between us. That was 1969, when a tenner was half a week's wage for many people. I think I was on a fiver a week. Ah, happy days!