View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2011, 1:09 pm   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony KV-1810UB - the GCS rides again!

Hi
Amazing how that second photo still sends shivers down the spine!
As you say, the presentation and the picture ran rings round the competition. I always thought the CRT lasted better than the KV 1800, but that's probably because the chassis often died earlier than the tubes in these sets. On the other 1810 thread someone made the very valid point that the mains switch should be checked as they did tend to arc, especially if the set's been damp.
I remember an encounter with one of these belonging to a very posh lady composer. After persuading her that it wasn't just a fuse and it needed to go into the workshop I presented her with a reasonable loan set. No sooner had I got back to the workshop she was on the phone demanding her set back as the loan set was no good. Puzzled I asked why. "Because it's DIRTY - and we only have nice things in our house!" was the reply. Having ascertained the two GCSs had died on her set I was happy to cut my losses and get the set back to her unrepaired and relieve her of the 'dirty' set.
Nice work as usual, Tim - as you say KV13x0 sets are everywhere but one of these?
Glyn