View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 10:58 am   #1
Davidsteam
Diode

Default Howes audio filters

I am unable to resist 'interesting' looking items at bootsales, radio amateur sales etc. I bought a diecast box with a couple of 1/4" jack sockets and to multi position rotary switches. Now ive got around to playing with it im a little confused. It contains a larger than necessary mains transformer, Howes ASL5 and a Howes CSL4 audio filter PCBs.

I wonder why it has both, looking at adverts in old magazines they appear do the same job except the ASL5 can drive a loudspeaker. The boards appear to be similar except the ASL5 has an LM380 so it can drive a loudspeaker.
I think the ALS5 is intended as a self contained unit and the CSL4 to be built into a receiver?

The 2 rotary switches have only 3 active positions, presumably OFF, CW and SSB, but different wafers of the same switch serve the 2 boards.

Im curious what is going on, is it to achieve a very sharp notch for cw, or are the component values changes to modify the responses?

Ive searched for a connection sheet but no luck, does anyone here have any information to help?

Many thanks
David