View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2017, 1:33 am   #38
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Woodworm damaged cabinets

I was recently looking for info on Tanalising solution that you can get for treating the faces of Tanalised timber that have been exposed by sawing or notching, and found a farmers' forum complaining about the short life of fence posts that now exists since the original Tanalising solution was changed to omit a poisonous ingredient that made it work. Apparently the manufacturers had assured everyone that the new formula was just as effective, but the fence post suppliers found it wasn't, and successfully sued the makers. Unfortunately that doesn't help anyone that wants durable wooden posts as the original stuff remains unavailable, so posts that used to last at least 25 years now barely last five.

Now that DDT has been banned, traditional Mothballs are one of the few things that the domestic user has available to reliably kill fleas, which are highly resistant to insecticides. I had an infestation in the (very large) greenhouse of the first house I bought, and after trying various fumigation products (including burning Sulphur) that were available in the 1970's to no effect, tried the mothballs that were recommended in a textbook for professionals on domestic sanitation (the other solution was Cyanide gas!). They worked a treat, so ought to do for woodworm larvae as well.

Last edited by emeritus; 31st Aug 2017 at 1:47 am.