View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2017, 7:04 pm   #32
John M0GLN
Octode

Default Re: Woodworm damaged cabinets

I'm no expert in treating woodworm, in fact the 'loudspeaker mounting board' I baked is the only time I have done anything to try and kill them, but the technique is one that is taken from 'The Building Conservation Directory 2008' and is shown on the website,

http://www.buildingconservation.com/...m/woodworm.htm

and this quote is taken from it,

“Fortunately, other more effective techniques for controlling active infection by Anobium punctatum have been developed, generally by those involved with the conservation of museum artefacts. These treatments are generally based on environmental manipulation so as to create an environment that results in the early death of any Anobium punctatum larvae within the material. The most generally useful technique involves raising the temperature of the infected material to above 50°C. This may be easily achieved with furnishings or relatively small objects,”

This is what I was hoping to do as the wood section was only about 10mm thick but only time will tell if I was successful, but they could have all been dead already.

Regards cooking meat, after a couple of hours in the oven we measure a temperature of at least 70°C in a good sized chicken, whether the board got to that temperature or not I don't know.

John