View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 2:24 pm   #24
greenstar
Octode

Default Re: Woodworm damaged cabinets

I won't bang on about this as I am probably in a minority, but I hesitate to saturate a radio cabinet with a neurotoxin, albeit declared 'safe'. I would suggest, for example googling for permethrin and cats ... I believe there is a risk when cats come into contact with recently flea spot treated dogs, for example. Keep puss away from the can.
https://icatcare.org/permethrin/owner-info
'While permethrin has a wide safety margin for most mammals, meaning it is generally very safe to use, cats are highly sensitive to permethrin and are much more likely to develop signs of toxicity than dogs. Permethrin is fat-soluble and can be absorbed into the body across the skin, or after being swallowed. It is metabolised (broken down by) the liver and it is thought that cats have different liver metabolic pathways to other species (in particular a relative deficiency of the enzyme hepatic glucuronosyltransferase) leading to a poor ability to break down permethrin. This makes cats much more susceptible to being poisoned.
Cats are most commonly poisoned when they are exposed to the high concentration of permethrin typically found in some spot-on products designed to control fleas and ticks on dogs '.