View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2020, 12:24 am   #13
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: 1960s/70s Philips video camera

That was a lot of replies in a short amount of time!

Quote:
If the camera is generating syncs the bar should be stationary. The camera is a very
late tube type using a 2/3" vidicon so is probably prior to 1990. I had one but scrapped
it when the gun failed.
in 1988 I had an early Philips CCD mono camera (kit) which used small boards with SMDs.
The result with a macro lens was remarkable, and much smaller than a tube type.
Try removing the elaborate lens and use a basic "C" type if you have one.
That bar is stable, apart from that jitter of the very top, like a slow drawn scan line. That's interesting about the SMDs as I'd always assumed they were much newer technology, say the past 10 or 15 years. It's going to sound stupid but how is the lens removed? I can see that it can come off but I can't see any form of latches or buttons to release it, and it wont budge with some force applied, not that I want to be too brutal with it and break something.

Quote:
Hmm. Interesting!

You're right- its definitely a tubed camera. The style of the electronics looks late '70's. But there doesn't look to be enough electronics in there for a B/W camera from that era. I can't believe there is a mains power supply in there as well?

I wonder if it should plug into a companion unit which would have the power supply and the extra electronics?

What's on the end of the black cable coming out of the camera? What other connections are there apart from that DIN plug?

What makes you think it's philips- is there a logo on it?

Certainly a thorough search on the internet doesn't bring up anything like it!

Cheers
Nick
I thought 70s myself due to the fact that it's got some capacitors that I recognise from my Philips G8, though of course they can be replacements.

Maybe I should've mentioned that there's two other companion units. The mains supply, which powers the camera, and a box attached to the RF cable. Both the camera and the RF cable box connect to the mains supply box via 7 pin DIN plugs.

I've attached a photo below. (Red is the Mains cable, Green is to/from the camera, and Blue is the RF cable)

There's no other connections apart from those all mentioned, and the 9V adaptor socket on the mains supply box.

It's definitely Philips as it says so on the other side, I never bothered sending that as an image as it's plain otherwise.

Quote:
Looks like a Philips LDH25 or 26. We used these as early film camera “video assist” units. Very simple electronics, 1/2”( IIRC) vidicon tube for C-mount lens. Free running line and field oscillators; could be externally synced. LDH26 was the later improved version. Used to get quite a belt from the EHT if you removed/replaced the cover when it was powered, which we frequently did. Think I’ve still got an original service manual somewhere. A quick Google shows some absurd prices - these were early predecessors of things like the Sony XC75/77 CCD cameras and used on some medical/ scientific kit I believe.
That's some really interesting information, it's good to know what they were used for. I'm guessing if it's medical/scientific it should have fairly good results? Better than domestic at least. Thanks for the identification.

Quote:
Are you sure that's the serial number? If there are two "serial numbers" on the type plate, the upper one is the commercial 12NC or SKU, which corresponds to the model number. The type plate seems to have two lines of text/numbers on it, and sure looks like a Philips type plate.
There's a sticker which has been cut off slightly which says "(S?) ER No. 014620" and above that there's the number "8925 002 50401" There's no sign of a 12NC or SKU.

Quote:
Found the info, see attached.
All yours if you want it 77 ( coincidentally the ELA service information doc in the picture is dated 16/3/77)
P
I'd love to have the info if you no longer want them please. I'll send you a PM. Funny about the year/name as I don't really know why I chose to put the 7 on the end, yet it's coincided with a few things.

Edit: Didn't see beamcurrents post.

That handle sure looks useful! It's quite awkward trying to hold it properly without a handle. I'll have to keep an eye out for one!

That's interesting to know about the 400/500 line resolution difference, I wonder how much of an obvious difference it gave. Are these colour or B/W? It's been nice to find some more information on it and to truly find it's time period, though I can see how it'd be confused to be from the 60s

Thank you all for the help, it's really appreciated. Now to try and get it actually working now I know what I've got!

Thanks again
'77

Last edited by 19Seventy7; 18th Nov 2020 at 12:35 am.