View Single Post
Old 14th May 2020, 1:26 pm   #80
Clydeuk
Hexode

Default Re: Philips 22CS1002/05t TV

The quick and dirty way to short the coils was to just solder a jumper wire on the print side of the board leaving the coil in place, the whole thing being a bodge to squeeze the last bit of life out of the tube. You would be able to see this easily.

Obviously it is possible an engineer removed the coils and replaced with a wire link, though this is much more work for something that would probably not have been a paid job (beer money at most).

If you post clear photos of the tube base PCB both sides we should be able to see if the coils are there and if they've been shorted out. I think there were 2 on the main PCB as well. You should be able to trace the connections from the heaters back to the Line Output Transformer, the coils will be along this path. They are only small things, I think they were wound on a small ferrite former.

Funny thing is I don't remember ever doing this bodge on 30AX models, but that was 25 or more years ago and at the time 30AX tubes were easy to get hold of and had a good life.